Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Another Day of Fishing

Typical Routine for Morning and Evening
1. Check my email for job notifications or replies from potential employers.
2. Delete newsletter email from CEB or promotions from other state bar affiliates.
3. Craigslist search for jobs.
      a. Skim postings for any phrases that automatically disqualify me from applying. ["3-5 years experience"; "Graduated top 10 percent from top 10 law school" ; "non-attorney applicants only"; etc.]
      b. If no such restrictions exist, then apply even if I have no experience in that field.
4. Browse through Craigslist missed connections to see if any women out there may be looking for an unbeknownst to them, jobless attorney.

For the past week, this routine resulted in three job applications and zero missed connections. I'm surprised I was able to apply to three places because rarely would I find positions for attorneys like me. Here's to hoping for a reply to either one of them. If employers called me back, usually it would be about two weeks after I applied.



4 comments:

  1. Hey Mr. Doe,

    I understand what your going through. Times are unfortunatley tough on everyone. I also passed but in Feb of 2010. Since then I've had jobs here and there but they have never ended well. I was at a large firm in Sacramento but it closed down. Recently, I was just at another firm, was only there for 2 days when they let me go and downsized already. No fear though, we're all in it together and we'll get through it. I admire that you had the courage to make a webpage based on your struggles in today's economy. Hang in there and i'll make sure to check in from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words Anon! Yeah, just got to hang in there..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, my daily routine is almost identical to yours. The only difference: instead of Craigslist missed connections, I check out my favorite feminist blog, Jezebel, then proceed on to Above the Law and Bitter Lawyer. Unlike you though, I won't be bar-passed until November (hopefully!) which makes job-hunting that much harder.
    Good luck with your search!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks LeahAliza! I'll probably check out those blogs too. Bitter Lawyer and Above the Law seem to be good blogs for people like me but for some reason I have never visited them. Let's you know where my head is at. Hopefully you can start passing by my blog too? lol but I'm serious. Congrats also on finishing the bar. Knocking on wood for your November results too.

    ReplyDelete