Friday, August 19, 2011

Same Thing Over Again

About two months ago, I applied for five federal government jobs. They were not attorney openings but rather  legal administrative positions. Today [lets you know how fast things work], I received an email notifying me that none of my applications will be considered in the meantime because there are enough qualified veterans who applied.  If you are not aware, government agencies give "veterans preference points" to applicants who served in the military. Since I never served in the military, I'll have to wait for any more jobs to open.

2 comments:

  1. Well, you can always hang out your own little sole-proprietorship shingle and go it alone. I know two attorneys (I'm sitting on the office of one of them at this moment) who went that route and both are very busy, not to mention very happy not to be working for "the man". It's a tough row to hoe at first, but things get much easier after about the first year. The only challenge will be paying the bills. But as long as you get a retainer up front, and are diligent about doing billable work, you should be able to keep your head above water. Shoot me an email with your phone number if you'd like to chat about their experience.

    Brian
    aka GP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brian! Yeah, I've been thinking about going the solo route but right now I don't have the financial means. Maybe sometime, I'll have to jump in the water and do a baptism by fire. Hopefully, my clients don't have to take the heat. I might send you an email in the future definitely.

    ReplyDelete