Sunday, August 14, 2011

El Nino in Spanish means "The Nino" [yes, I know there's a tilde]

I've been trying to make use of this down time by learning to speak Spanish. My ultimate goal is to speak the language semi-fluently. What I mean by "semi-fluently" is to be able to freely converse with a client whose main language is Spanish. I'm not trying to always use the proper conjugations or be grammatically perfect. I just don't want there to be any confusion between me and my clients.

In California, or really elsewhere in this country, speaking a foreign language such as Spanish is a big plus. Let me redact that last statement....it is a GIGANTIC plus. I've seen more employers looking for attorneys who speak Spanish than I have seen employers seeking graduates from "top 20 [US News Ranking] schools." [I'll write about the issues I have with these rankings.So, if you graduated from a high ranked school and you speak Spanish fluently, you are a diamond.] I know three attorneys who barely had any work experience but their ability to speak the language got them a position to be a legal assistant or contract worker and eventually an associate. I am not expressing  jealousy nor am I hinting at racism. I wrote "speaking Spanish" is a benefit, not "looking like you speak Spanish." You'd be surprised the number of blonde hair and blue eyes lawyers who can speak it really well. It just shows you the impact the language has on the legal field.  Therefore, I will be watching my favorite movies in Espanol, starting off with "Mi Primo Vinny." Buena suerte!

2 comments:

  1. For some additional Spanish lessons, check out: openculture.com and openlearn.open.ac.uk. I am also trying to learn Spanish while unemployed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for info FJD! I just read that you got a job recently. Congrats! Hope to be in that same boat too.

    ReplyDelete