Friday, August 12, 2011

What's on my mind.

If you can't tell by the title , I am an attorney licensed to practice in California. I graduated law school in May 2010 and subsequently  passed the July 2010 California bar exam. Unfortunately times are tough and I haven't been able to land an attorney job since being licensed this past December. Believe me, it's not from a lack of effort. I've had about ten interviews with seven different offices. I was asked to come back for another round of interviews but like so many others in my position, the job offer was awarded to someone with "experience."  What I hope to bring to you is just my perspective and thoughts throughout this whole time. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I feel your pain. I'm licensed in my home state, but moved away to be closer to my girlfriend. I have now taken another bar exam, but will probably move back to my home state because, although jobs are tight, at least I'm licensed there. I have a few years of DA and law firm experience and can't believe I'm now unemployed waiting for bar results. I've really given thought to starting my own firm, but lack the guts (and money).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Anonymous, I've also been thinking about starting my own practice but don't have the financial means nor the know-how to do so. I've helped family and friends but nothing complicated requiring me to go to court.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am awaiting results from the CalBar. I am also in the 2nd of the 2 yr LLM tax program of the university of Alabama school of Law. I intend to strike out on my own specializing in white collar and tax. I bring my experience as of CPA for 30 years, ex-IRS field agent. I am now a CFO for an 11 Million a year company in Texas and I make a nice salary and operate the CPA practice part-time. You may have to do as I did when I started up. I spent time as an IRS field agent, hospital auditor, two years at CPA firms and 3 years as a CFO. I operated the CPA Practice full-time for 23 years.
    My point is do not be discouraged. You may have to go in debt and use credit cards and led a frugal life,BUT YOU CAN DO IT.
    When I start up I will need at least one attorney on board.
    YOU CAN DO AS THE MARINE CORPS TAUGHT ME---"SEMPER FI"
    Benny Vaughn
    mc3027feb@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Benny. Impressive credentials indeed. Yeah I'm still keeping my head above water. Good luck with the results!

    ReplyDelete