Monday, August 29, 2011

Had To Let This One Go

For the first time, I had to turn down a job offer. I discovered during the weekend the attorney who would employ me has a disciplinary history from another state and he is still under suspension from that state bar. Technically since he is still suspended, he is not eligible to practice here in California as well. He never mentioned any of these things to me during the interview. I think he wanted someone who could bring in clients and keep his business alive while he's sorting all that stuff out. I told him I'm exploring other job opportunities and I wouldn't be able to work for him.  He said he understood and I thanked him for giving me the opportunity nonetheless.

Right now, this is the lowest point I have felt in my employment search. I got an offer but I can't accept it for obvious reasons. It's like having that cake but not being able to eat it. When some things are too good to be true.

2 comments:

  1. I am in the same boat as you, I graduated in 2010 and have been looking for a law job since then. I had contract position with consulting firm for 7 months and did some doc review, but I am back on my ass looking for work.

    Keep on looking...I've recently given up on effectively looking for a law job and am just looking for any kind of job, I am running out of money. Have you worked in the past year, if not, how are you keeping afloat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anonymous,

    I was receiving a monthly stipend from my school for working in a non-profit organization, however that stipend was only for the months of August through November. Since March, I've been working the night shift, part-time at a warehouse. The pay's decent and the schedule gives me flexibility to search and do interviews for jobs during the day. Nobody at work knows I'm an attorney. I didn't even place such information on my application. I'm also fortunate enough to move back home and I don't have any dependents. It's not easy and I know it's tougher for many people out there.
    Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete