Saturday, October 8, 2011

Transcripts of So Close Yet So Far

[Originally posted 9-16-11]

The following is a transcript of  voicemail messages left from a potential employer beginning from the reply to the rejection. Names and other information have been redacted to preserve anonymity.  These correspondences occurred in early July 2011. I've been saving similar voicemails for a long time. I have ones almost a year old now.  I've deleted other messages but I always keep these ones. I really don't know why I do it, maybe for the hell of it. Anyway, here it is:


Message 1 (July 12, 2011):
"Hello, this message is for [John Doe].  My name is [Hiring Attorney].  About three weeks ago, I posted an ad on craigslist for an entry level position with my office.  I went through your application and I was wondering if you would be able to come in for an interview sometime this week. Please, give me a call back as soon as you can. My phone number is [####]. Once again my name is [Hiring Attorney] and that number is [####]. Thank you."

Message 2: (July 19, 2011)
"Hello [John Doe], this is [Hiring Attorney]. I’m calling to see if you are still interested in the job position you interviewed for last week.  It’s between you and another attorney . If you are still interested, I’d like you to come in again and interview with my assistant, Jennifer.  She really runs everything and if you are hired, you’d be working with her a lot. So I think it’s important , she’d  have an idea of who the new hire would be. So if you can call my office and  schedule an appointment, that’d be great. Thanks!" 

Message 3 (July 26, 2011):
"Hey [John Doe] this is [Hiring Attorney], just calling to follow up with you from your interviews with the office. We did hire somebody else for the position but I want to thank you for your time and interest. I know nobody likes to come in second but unfortunately that’s what you did. Out of 200 attorneys who applied , you were the second best guy we had, so you almost got the job. I’m going to keep your resume on file. If we need somebody else, you’d be the first guy I’ll call and I wish you luck in whatever you do. I know you’re going to be a great lawyer for somebody.  Good luck to you , [John Doe.]"

No comments:

Post a Comment